The Perks of Being a Wallflower Review








Hey Guys so Here is my next review and I can say I am happy with the rate I am going and I am happy on the books I have chosen for this month let the good read keep flowing.




I am not entirely sure How to feel about this book. I cannot say I hate it and I cannot say I loved it or liked it.I know there were moments that I loved this part or absolutely hated this section, but overall when I finish I just felt content with finishing the book.

 The book is about a teenager name Charlie, who is starting his first year of high school. Charlie has no friends and the only friend he had Killed himself when he was in Middle School. His family does not understand him and feel that is unstable at times. The story follows Charlie journey through his first year of High School and through new friendship and first love. Also we follow Charlie through his depression and his sadness of losing his favorite person in the world, His Aunt Helen who was killed in a Car Accident on his Birthday when he was 7 years old. We also learn so heartbreaking and disturbing thing about what happen when Charlie was just a boy.

What I liked about the book was how Charlie talked about things even complicated things he saw them through simple ways, how his family interacted with each other to his sister relationship with her boyfriend. What Charlie did not understand is why did people do what they did or why did they accept actions or situations that caused them unhappiness, why did people accept those?

Charlie did not see or understand how the world worked in social situations how his sister wanted to be alone with her boyfriend mostly because he did not want to be alone since he always felt that he was alone. While he tried to find solace with being around other people his family would just tell him to go away or do something else. What I concluded that Charlie was lonely and also he felt guilty.

In a moment of the book Charlie states that he loves that his Aunt Helen gave him two gifts instead of one gift since he was born on Christmas and usually he only received one gift because of this, but his Aunt Helen made him feel special and on the night that Aunt Helen died she was going to buy Charlie his birthday gift. Charlie feels guilty because of this, because if it was not for his special birthday gift then Aunt Helen would be alive.

We also see Charlie fall in love for the first time with his friend Sam, who is older and also has problems of her own. We begin to see Charlie emotionally mature through his love for Sam how he wished she did not have a boyfriend to being upset that Sam found out that her boyfriend cheated on her because as Charlie states as long as Sam is happy even if it is not with him but she is happy then he is alright with that because he loved her so much that all he wanted from her is to be happy. I love seeing that emotional maturity come from Charlie when it came to loving Sam it showed well to me that his love was deep not just some crush.

What I did not like about this book, well there is really no way to describe it then just saying the flow and the maturity of the character. I understand this book was written in letter form but at moments it was hard to see the time flow as well as character development through the letters because some letters would be about his new friends and then he would go to talk about his family. I am not saying that it was totally understandable, it just for me I never felt the connection to Charlie. As for the maturity of the character, I am not sure if I am wrong here but I felt at times Charlie felt younger than 15 when he wrote some of his letters. I am not sure if that was done on purpose to show the instability of Charlie emotional and mental state or not.

We later find some disturbing things about what happen to Charlie and later this becomes a breakthrough to Charlie receiving some help he needs and also Charlie feels that he understand himself better as well as it seems him family understands or support Charlie better.

As I said I cannot say I hate this book or I cannot say I like it or love it but what I can say I feel content with reading it and I am happy I picked it up. I gave this book *** out of five stars.


That is it for now Guys,

Thanks for Reading,

~Pants 

Comments

Popular Posts