Rumble Book Review



 Hey Guys, 

Alright This was a different type of book than I am use to reading. This was actually my first Ellen Hopkins book, which my sister actually recommended me Ellen Hopkins because she read the Uglies series few years ago and she thought it was something I would like.

The story follows Matthew Turner and the aftermath of his emotions after his younger brother Luke commits suicide. Luke had a hard time dealing with the aftermath of being outed as gay and how he had no support and dealt the bullying and torment. School was worst with the people close to his brother were the one to out him that lead to Luke having a difficult time at home as well. 

Matt also begin to deal with the after affect of Luke Suicide with doubting how could God Exist because all the hurt the Luke went through as well what happens in the World. When I read this book I could see where Matt was coming from he was looking for answer and solace to what happen to Luke. He carried so much anger, regret, pain that he did not know where and who to turn so his belief was being tested.

Overall I did love the message of this book, How does deal with these type of tragedies, how does Luke Love his brother but Hate what his brother did, how does one deal with that. I would have given this book 5 stars if it was not for somethings.

First of all lets start with Matt's Girlfriend, oh man every time she said something I wanted to stop reading she was so intolerable and righteous where in actually she was the one that is wrong that is a fault in things. She believed now she can forgive and forget? how when the purpose you torment is gone so what she is doing it for forgiveness or for her to feel better for herself how could she try to make things right when in actuality she never told and owned up to what she did and still even after Matt finds out the role she played in Luke torment she still was defensive and still believe she was right!!! That took for points away from me and the next part were his parents!

Oh man how much I hated Matt's Parents. I cannot remember a time that I actually hate a character in a book. I do not think that there has been a time until now. I understand the lost of a child must be devastating and surreal and something no one ever wants to deal with but in honesty I feel that they used it to their advantage. lets start with his mother. His mother leaves him! why? so she could be happier. How do you leave your own son. How does your son know that they reason that you and husband got together was because you got pregnant and if it was not for that your life would be different how do you put that on your child? you make them feel like a problem and after you favorite child as Matt put it dies you leave the unwanted child to fend for himself. what kind of mother is that? I cannot give an answer to that. Now to Matt's Father, a man that sickly used his son suicide to the justification of leaving his wife and going back to the long lost love that in actuality he was having an affair with! your wife barely leaves the house and you move your mistress in? who does that? and then what really got me was when Matt's dad girlfriend said that they could have had them if they did not push him away after Luke's death, I have never wanted to actually hit and hate a character so much until that moment. Grief is strong it makes you sad.angry it makes you want to scream and cry and mostly a death of a child and also it being a suicide makes people react in many different ways, and to say that because how Matt and his mom reacted is what turned him to her to finally leaving the family that is blasphemy. I wanted to stop reading that moment, who think that is alright to say to teenager that is losing everyone in his life one that blames himself for his brother death, the guilt he carries that he was not there for Luke is enough and this lady thinks she knows what she is talking about just makes it all so much worse.

As you can see I have a strong opinion of this book. I wanted to give it 5 stars I really did, but I could not, not with those characters it is impossible.

I have to give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Thanks for Reading,

~Pants

Comments

Popular Posts