Shakepeare and Company Bookstores!!!!! Paris, France!!!!!!

Hey Guys,

So I wanted to tell you guys about a Wonderful and Amazing Trip I went on this past week. I had the opporutntity to go to Paris and London!!!! I have to say I fell in Love! I did not believe that I would love Europe as much as I do. The food, Atmosphere and mostly what I love was the culture. The architecture, history and beauty behind everything I saw it was overwelhming and beautiful.

When I first found out I was going to Paris which I went with My Sister Denise and My Best Friend Naim, I made a list of where I wanted to go. Of Course the Effiel Tower, The Louvre, Champs- Elyesee were on the list. Were they number one on my list? No they were not. Number one on my list was Shakepeare and Company!!!!

As many book lover, travelers, history buffs (or just random people that do not fit into those three category) know about Shakepeare and Company. Shakepeare and Company was first open by Sylvia Beach in 1919 and Later closed in 1941 when she refused to sell books to the Nazi's. Shakepeare and Company was later Open again by a man named George Whitman who open a book shop first called Le Mistrial which he later changed the name to Shakespeare and Company (which Sylvia Beach bestowed him the Name of the bookshop. Shakespeare and Company is now owned by George's daughter Sylvia Beach Whitman. (which yes, she was name after the original owner of Shakespeare and Company)

So on my Third day in Paris I arrived to this vessel of culture and literature and history and felt like I came home. I could imagine the likes of Ernest Hemingway (although technically this was the original bookshop he went to) Henry Miller and Allen Ginsberg walking through the bookshop and feelings inspired to write or just enjoy literature. As I entered the bookshop I was greeted by the employees, (which are mostly composed of inspiring writers who live in the bookshop and help out at least 2 hours a day and can work on writing their novel) as well as rows and tall column of books. There were no dead or empty space when you walked around the bookshop. Books were crammed into any space that could be found the books reached as high as the ceiling where you would need a latter to get to the top shelf. as I walked the narrow pass way to the equally narrow stairs I reach the second floor which is considered a lending library. One can just show up and go upstairs and read all day if they want to. How awesome is that the Notre Dame is out the window and you can just sit there and enjoy reading all day!! who would not want to do that?! As I browsed through the genre one thing popped into my mind, Why do we not have this in the United States, no I take that back we have amazing bookstore like that here so I am told, I have not traveled to many bookshops around the United States but I have heared many great things on a few. What I meant to say is why is it where I am from (Texas) there are not amazing bookstore like this, do not get me wrong I love Barnes and Noble, I pretty much love any bookstore where I can buy books, But what I feel that it lacks is culture and history.Bookstores like Barnes and Nobles are cookie cutter stores that no matter what city or state you are in they all resemble eachother. Do not get me wrong at times it makes it easier to find what you need but it also lacks the beauty and adventure of walking through a bookstore. 

As I walked and look at all the beautiful books that they had I, of course picked up a few (come on if you love books and you are at a bookstore you would not buy books, now who is lying in this situation)

The books I purchased were,

1. The Final Testimony of Raphael Ignatius Phoenix by: Paul Sussman
2. 1984 by: George Orwell
3. The Great Gatsby by: F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. Beautiful you by: Chuck Palahniuk
5. The shock of the fall by: Nathan Filer

of these 5 books I purchased I do actually own 2 of these already but my reasoning for buying them again other than their beautiful covers (The Great Gatsby and 1984) is because a friend of mine is trying to get into reading and he asked me to choose some of my favorite books out and he would read them. So, I of course who always is trying to push people close to me to read more jumped at the chance to get them to read so I purchased two of my favorite books for them.

As I approached the register with my carefully choosen books to add to my already getting to big for my bookshelf book collection I saw these beautiful canvas totes and I of course had to buy one!

When I asked to purchase a tote, The lady behind the counter acutally told me I would be getting one for free!!! I was so excited to hear that (who would not want a free tote from an amazing bookstore? exactly I knew you would see it my way) As she began to ring up my books I saw her pull out this stamp and ink box, curiously I watch as she stamp each of my new books with this beautiful stamp that states I bought this book at Shakespeare and Company!

Overall I had a beautiful and amazing expierence at Shakespeare and Company and I wish I could had more time to back again because I loved just walking around there and looking at all the beautiful books they had on their shelves as well as I would have loved to spend an afternoon on the second store at the lending library reading the day away.

I hope whoever read this,  that if they ever get the chance to go to Paris they make this store as a place to stop at while they are there because honestly it is a magical place to step into and I can happily say I have been to this enchanted place.


Alright guys so This is only Part one of my Bookstores overseas adventure thingy (yeah I did not know what to call it so I am going with this title) I hope to put the second half up soon, but yes I am traveling yet again so It might be until next week that I can post this so just bear with me.

That is all for now guys,

Thanks for reading,

~Pants



Comments

Popular Posts